FAQ'S & OTHER OBSERVATIONS
A valid prescription.
Eyeglass prescriptions do expire. We cannot fill an out of date prescription.
Insurance card and photo ID.
You are required to have your insurance card and photo ID with you for all appointments made with Xavier Optical.
What insurances do you accept?
Davis Vision (call to check if we can accept your plan)
Excellus Blue Cross/Blue Shield
ICircle of the Finger Lakes
Molina Healthcare (formerly Total Care)
United Healthcare/MARCH Vision Care (Community and Medicare plans)
Do you do eye exams?
Not at this time. We work with doctors in the surrounding areas to do the exam, then you call to make a fitting appointment with Xavier Optical to have your prescription filled.
What about contact lenses?
No, mostly because the insurances we deal with do not cover contact lenses.
Where are you located?
In Auburn we are in the Genesee Center Mall at 100 Genesee Street, Auburn, NY 13021 next to the city parking garage.
In Syracuse we are located at 218 Harrison Street, Syracuse, NY 13202 across the street from the city parking garage.
My frame is lost or broken, now what?
Call our automated phone system and select the option for lost or broken frames. Leave us a good telephone number where we can reach you. We'll verify your insurance and get an order placed. When they come in we'll give you a call!
Missed appointments. Three strikes - you're out!
Just a reminder; if you can't make it to your appointment, you NEED to contact us by the end of the business day of your scheduled appointment, otherwise it counts as a 'no show'.
Missing an appointment may incur a $25 "No Show" fee.
Three (3) no shows without contacting us and you will be dropped as a patient.
Glasses NOT ready in an hour!
Glasses, on average, take 3 to 4 weeks to be made. At your initial fitting appointment, we'll give you a "Refrigerator Call Notice" with a date on it. The date is a ball-park date as to when your glasses will arrive. You'll call us, and we'll set you up with a time to come in for your "Final Fitting". If your glasses are not in, then we contact the lab and find out what's going on! Sometimes it's as simple as a back-order on the frame, or the lenses.
Why do I have to go back to my previous provider? Why can't you help me?
Your insurance may block us from helping you for at least 2 years from date of service with your previous provider.
Why does it take longer to get glasses back from some insurances than others?
Many insurances provide their own collection of frames through their own lab. In some cases, a lab may have 1 location and one shift of workers servicing the entire country.
Why is an appointment preferred to order my eyeglasses? Here are a few reasons:
1. We don’t want to waste your time. There is some leg work to getting a patient’s information and authorizations. By having this done ahead of time your appointment can take about 10 minutes, or LESS! All too often patients 'stop in' only to find there is an insurance issue, whether it's lack of coverage or if it was less than 2 years since you received your last pair of glasses.
2. If coming right from the doctor, you may be dilated, making it difficult to pick out your glasses. We recommend picking your glasses out after your eyesight has returned to normal.
3. Some insurances have restrictions and prevent us from helping you, often there is a waiting period from your previous provider that has to lapse before they allow us to serve you.
4. Due to higher volume you could have a bit wait if you 'walk in'. It can take up to 45 minutes to get through to your insurance sometimes only to find that we are unable to help you.
5. If you're in need of replacement glasses and have seen us in the past this can often be done right over the phone, saving you a trip! Listen to all the options on our automated phone system.
6. An Optician might not be available.
What are your delivery options?
Shipping can be arranged. For a small fee we can package your eyeglasses and have them shipped to your desired location.
How do I return an item?
There are no returns. Your eyeglasses are made specifically for you, what is also known as a "Prescribed Medical Device." Once the lab has completed making your glasses we cannot accept them back, unless there is a defect of some kind.
Do you provide International delivery?
No, we only ship within the United States. If you are going out of the United States you can designate a family member, or friend, to pick up your glasses for you so they can ship them to you.
What is your returns policy?
Remember those BIG NAME BRANDS we mentioned on the ABOUT page? In their price they work in enough profit to handle a return, and also throwing away their frame.
They throw away the frame?! Previously worn frames cannot be resold. This is why we cannot accept returns.
If there is a defect in the frame and/or lenses we will do what we need to make it right. We fill your prescription as your doctor has it written. We will allow for ONE "Doctor's Rx Change."